It has been about 15 years since I have officially started dating – otherwise known as hanging out or being single and ready to mingle.

Although my girlfriends and I grumble about the pure agony of dating, I must say that we mostly have more laughs than frowns. It is certainly something that I think every young person should get to experience for themselves prior to settling down with that one special person, if for nothing more than for the sheer hilariousness of it all. That’s why I started this blog.

Here I want people to be able to talk about their "single experience"... the good, the bad and the ugly! I know we will share a few gasps, some chuckles, some boos and cheers but most of all I hope we can uplift each other through this process and just have some plain old fun with it. Anyone can share their two cents, if you're single, married 30 years or are a newlywed.

If you are interested in being a regular contributor on the blog, contact me at singlejustlikethat@gmail.com and I will be glad to add you. Keep in mind, that this isn’t used to insult or hurt anyone, so please by all means use alternate names to protect the innocent! HA

Check out the First Post, "Just Like That...." to understand how I came up with this name!

Happy Posting!

Janelle

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Kitchen Table Topic ~07/13/2011~ What effect is the black church having on black dating, relationships and families?

FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR COMMENTS BELOW. IF YOU DONT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT TO SIGN IN WITH, PLEASE POST ANONYMOUSLY.

Here are some of the responses from yesterdays post on Facebook!



Its killing them!!! There's a reason why 90 ‎90% of the single people in church are women, 5% are ex-cons or former crackheads.. It kills me how a man and woman can get together and everything is going great then "Pastor" says something or she learns something in bible study and she tears the relationship to shreds because of it. Then wonders why she's single and can't keep a man.


I dont want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that because spiritual leaders are preaching "Celibacy/Chastity" that it is ruining dating? If so, why must this be a part of dating? 


This is a good question and I've pondered it quite often considering all of the "plagues" and immoral activity circulating the globe. There is wisdom in religion and unfortunately not all churches are teaching the truth about the potential moral dangers of dating. I think that is one effect churches have on "dating". If the spiritual leader doesn't push chastity and protecting its "flock" from a scriptural standpoint, what does a parishioner see wrong with it? Especially if our society supports boyfriend/girlfriend relations. Everything we need to know has been written thousands of years ago, what we do with it falls under the "free will" category.


it sounds as if you are saying the preachers aren't preaching it enough.... We certainly do have an issue with how dating/courting is done these days and what comes of it. Is the church the only one to blame though?


Its not the chastity/celibacy piece. Most women say they aren't gonna have sex in the beginning unless that's all they are looking for. I'm saying church tells black women that they are supposed to love white Jesus more than all else. Then the meet this guy and they are comparing his every move against the bogus playbook she's been given by "Pastor". So things are going great but all of a sudden she finds out that they don't believe the same thing religiously (spiritually they are on the same page. notice I said RELIGIOUSLY) and because bible study misinterpeted the scripture "Do not become unevenly yoked" she kills the relationship.


Oh no, the church cannot be the only one to blame. However, the church leaders could do a better job about pinpointing and promoting the spiritual benefits of chastity especially when most people are programmed to follow a "self anointed and appointed" leader. We should never take the religious leaders words or ideologies over God's commands especially if they contradict one another. Hence why I wrote that there are many ancient text that cover protecting your mind, body, and soul against potential ruin. The message should really be pushed hard with the youth. Their world is completely scary.


. I kinda agree. I agree as far as the self-anointed leadership. I disagree that we need to live by "ancient text". What's truer about a matter what you read or what you feel. Surely, the creator still communicates with us and if you believe in Jesus then you believe that we don't need a intermediary. pray about the matter then trust what you feel. You don't need Eddie Long or Creflo Dollar telling you anything


Sorry if I failed to articulate "ancient text" clearly. What I mean is that wise and timeless commandments "love thy neighbor" or any other of the other various texts should be adhered to. They are a recipe for life that we've seen work for centuries.
Unfortunately, man has strayed far away from this wisdom and many have applied innovation to fit "the times". I do believe in Jesus, Noah, Lot, Moses, Adam, Abraham, Jonas, etc. too and I don't remember reading that any of them ever told us to worship them but always steered us to God. So, I believe we both agree with not needing intermediaries.
I also agree with you concerning the "equally yoked" and why should it matter if two people love each other but the flip side of that wreaks of wisdom especially since religious/spiritual beliefs are the core of most beings. It didn't matter to me or my husband when we got married but as time goes on in my 10 year marriage, it's starting to.



I hear you. I just think Too many black women jump at everything they "Pastor" says. well I've got a great DVD and book they should check out. Its called "the Black Man's Guide to the Black woman."



No comments:

Post a Comment