It has been about 15 years since I have officially started dating – otherwise known as hanging out or being single and ready to mingle.

Although my girlfriends and I grumble about the pure agony of dating, I must say that we mostly have more laughs than frowns. It is certainly something that I think every young person should get to experience for themselves prior to settling down with that one special person, if for nothing more than for the sheer hilariousness of it all. That’s why I started this blog.

Here I want people to be able to talk about their "single experience"... the good, the bad and the ugly! I know we will share a few gasps, some chuckles, some boos and cheers but most of all I hope we can uplift each other through this process and just have some plain old fun with it. Anyone can share their two cents, if you're single, married 30 years or are a newlywed.

If you are interested in being a regular contributor on the blog, contact me at singlejustlikethat@gmail.com and I will be glad to add you. Keep in mind, that this isn’t used to insult or hurt anyone, so please by all means use alternate names to protect the innocent! HA

Check out the First Post, "Just Like That...." to understand how I came up with this name!

Happy Posting!

Janelle

Friday, March 25, 2011

THE WORLDWIDEWEB & online dating???

Its amazing isn't it. I remember when I first started to use the internet in high school (in the mid 90's). It consisted of email and research (and even that wasn't that good). Clearly it is NOTHING like it is today. I mean who would have thought that some of us would meet our boyfriends, husbands (and the various other titles we reserve for these men :) ONLINE!


Don't deny it. You know you have peeked around on some of these sites! Well I'll go first. I have tried:

  • Yahoo dating (back in the day), 
  • Eharmony.com, 
  • Match.com, 
  • BlackPeopleMeet.com 
  • and most recently OkCupid.com (its completely free).  

I even checked out Millionaire Match (why not?) and had suitors from Tagged and MySpace (uh yeah......).


Anyway, I have to say the experiences haven't been all that bad! A lot of people claim that you have to be soooo careful if meeting someone online, but I say you have to be just as careful if you met that same man in a club, at the grocery store or even at church for that matter. At least online, you can weed out the ones who can't write in complete sentences. (ok that was wrong..but true. lol)


There seems to be a good selection of guys online, but some of my guy friends have let me in on a little secret. There are MILLIONS of women online!!!! The selection for them is something serious...


Oh well, back to the drawing board.


Figures... just like that..

1 comment:

  1. I recently tried plentyoffish.com, which is a free site. I have had one or two hits, guys sending what they call ice breaker messages which just say Hi...how are you?? I did have one guy who was rather attractive, his profile said all the right things, but just wanted me to call him after sending one message. It kinda spooked me, needless to say, I didn't call. I'm not sure how I really feel about the online dating thing, but I'm going to continue to try I guess.

    ReplyDelete